CSI continued to improve into its third season. The stories are as crisp and innovative as ever. Surprisingly, the show did not suffer from the addition of its fine but inferior Miami cousin. Minor characters like lab tech Greg are put to much better use. The f/x get better also, and a strong cast of guest stars doesn’t hurt the mix either.
This Dolby Digital 5.1 sound once again reinvents TV sound. Highs and lows both exhibit dynamic performance. Dialogue is crisp and always clear. …here is noticeably more sub range than on the previous two seasons. This fact is most evident during the music cues.
Once again the season’s episodes are presented in a great HDTV 16 X 9 wide screen ratio. Colors are dynamic and the transfers are flawless. Blacks maintain the high standard set in season 2. You won’t be disappointed in this release.
- “The CSI Tour: Police Station” is exactly what the name implies. You get a 10 minute look at the police station set. This feature is much like the CSI tour of the main set.
- “The CSI Shot: Making It Real” This is a fascinating look at the unique special effects used to explain wounds and other medical demonstrations on the show.
- “The Writer’s Room” We saw a feature much like this on season 1. It’s basically an idea-pitching session.
- “CSI: Moving In To Season 3” is the longest of the features at just under 15 minutes. We’re talking interview sound bites from just about everyone involved in the show: writers, cast, and production team.
- “Crime Scene Field Kit” This is a series of short clips that allow you to learn about some of the tools and devices the real CSI teams use in the field.
There are 6 episode commentaries but they are all crew. There’s only so much technical side I can take in. What I really like are cast commentaries. They usually provide more interesting stories. Maybe in season 4.
You have to believe that CSI is a sample of what we hope the future of TV might look like. The show makes excellent use of the wide format. Obviously these shows look much finer on DVD than they did as broadcasts. Maybe it took a big screen name like Bruckheimer to pave the way. Let’s hope future show runners “follow the evidence”.
Special Features List
- All 23 episodes with cast & crew commentaries on 6 selected shows
- The CSI Tour: Police Station
- The CSI Tour: Making it Real
- The Writers’ Room
- CSI Moves Into Season 3
- Crime Scene Field Kit