Aqua Teen Hunger Force has hit mainstream, well for the most part. The Tv Show has been on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim for a few seasons now and they even released a theatrical film. The film entitled Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film wasn’t exactly a run away success. The film only made 5.5 million dollars nationwide. However, this was also about 7 times the budget which made the film a profitable success. So with the movie behind them, would the fame of past efforts fill their minds and make the creators’ (Dave Willis & Matt Maiellaro) heads swell with pride? Let’s turn into Volume 5 (Season 4) and find out.
For those new to the game (then why are you starting out with the fifth dvd set?), Aqua Teen Hunger Force is the story of three characters who look like they came from a Happy Meal; well a Happy Meal from a place that serves meatballs. Master Shake, Frylock & Meatwad return for 13 episodes (one is a 2-parter) to fight crime, bad advertising & just make sure that nobody gets Carl’s favorite appendage if you know what I mean. Who’s Carl? Ahh, that would be their next door neighbor who spends a lot of his time listening to classic rock, eating hot wings and getting raped by artificially created dogs. It’s in episode 4, you’ll have to see it for yourself.
ATHF isn’t exactly my favorite Adult Swim show, that’s probably reserved for the Venture Bros or Robot Chicken. However, it certainly has its share of laughs. Whether they are doing a mockery of the Boost Mobile ads or dipping into that Moonjuana, there are some genuine funny moments that will cause you to spit your drink at the humor. But on the other side of the fence, there are moments where you will groan and wonder why this is arguably the most loved show on Adult Swim. I certainly could have done without episodes such as Dickesode (especially the uncensored version) which are just disturbing at best. The show is great one moment and horrid the next. The initial joke might be hilarious but the 8th time later you are probably sick of it and want to move on.
We get this naturally in fullscreen 1.33:1 made for television viewing. However, the color is excellent and everything is animated very well. The colors are sharp and most things are easily noticed. I also happened to pay attention to the backgrounds and for the most part, they took just as much detail to make it sync up wonderfully. Shakezula and Meatwad would be most proud of the results.
Another strong endorsement for the audio here too. Presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital English (2.0 Mix included), this is as clear as a normal tv cartoon will get. Sound effects and surrounds are actually used in an acceptable setting. From tiny explosions that occur everytime Shake throws something to conversations off screen, everything can be well heard and all speakers are used in tow. Subtitles are also provided in English, Spanish and French.
- Favorite Episode Promos 9:27: Some promos that were run during Favorite Episode week of ATHF. These all feature Matt & Dave playing acoustic guitar and singing some tune. This even includes a parody of Hot Blooded (Foreigner) called Moist Blooded. However, it’s mostly unfunny and pretty sad. There are also Aqua Fakts that run along the bottom. The only really funny promo involves a rendition of “Nude Love” and Matt & Dave are nowhere to be found.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force Responds to the Critics 5:07: A short that has the Aqua Teen characters responding to all of the critics who saw the movie and didn’t care for it. Most of the reactions are pretty hilarious as they even dish on individual websites.
- I Like Your Booty, But I’m not Gay Music Video 2:04: A very funny but short music video. How can you not like something that starts off with a Squirrel humping a robot?
- ATHF Movie Premiere with Space Ghost 30:16: This right before the movie opened and features a live action Space Ghost talking to various “celebrities” as they come on the red carpet. Live action Space Ghost isn’t quite as funny as his cartoon self as jokes involving William Shattner and how he fits into his suit get old quick. Seth Green does make an appearance about 20 minutes in for those who care. Do you realize there is a Meatwad candy?
- Deleted Scenes 1:30, :37, 1:35: Deleted Scenes for Bart Oates, Grim Reaper Gutters & Moonajuana.
- Learn to Shred Like the Master 1:35: A guy in green spandex shows off a bit with his guitar and then asks you to try. It appears in one of the episodes so I guess they are giving us the unedited cut here, wasn’t really funny there either.
- Tera Patrick Eats a Hot Dog 1:07: Tera Patrick takes her role seriously as she eats a real hot dog and goes through lines at the same time. However, for fans of her adult films; she isn’t wearing any makeup and is dressed in a hoodie.
- Granny Takes Her Top Off 2:49: Poor Granny. The crew gets Granny to say rather embarrassing lines for one of the episodes. It’s a shame because even though she is very nice, she doesn’t seem to get it and you almost feel sorry for her.
- Space Ghost Coast to Coast “Chambraigne” 11:41: A Space Ghost episode that involves Space Ghost trying out the Hair & Intelligence Booster, Chambraigne. Also involves an interview with Bob Costas. Again; very funny stuff but I’m not sure of why it is included.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am Trailer 1:01: A half golf game/ half adventure game with some tie ins to the ATHF universe for your Playstation 2 console.
- The Worst Game Ever: Nicely animated, but yeah it’s bad. If you can figure out how to play it; gimme a ping back. Worst? Have they played some of the shovelware on Wii lately? This would probably sell better but I don’t want to give them any ideas.
The interesting thing about reviews like this is we are already at Volume 5. There is very little I could tell you that would make you go oh I was done at Volume 4 or I got to start my collection right away! If you bought the previous four, you will buy this one. If this is the first time you are catching Aqua Teen Hunger Force, you might watch it at its regular scheduled time for a few episodes but that’s about it. The movie has looked to increase its viewer base and I admit it’s not as bad as I thought it was. It’s funny, just sometimes it stretches out that funny or makes it way too gross. The discs on a whole are very well put together. Video and Audio are superb and the extras aren’t bad either. The one thing I always appreciate about the Adult Swim sets is that they know how to make dvds for the fans. I appreciate that and thank them. Now, go produce me some more Robot Chicken and Venture Bros will ya? Highly recommended for fans of the show or Adult Swim in general.
Dickesode (Censored & Uncensored)
Party All the Time
Grim Reaper Gutters
Star Studded Xmas Spectacular: Part 1
Star Studded Xmas Spectacular: Part 2
- DVDVerdict.com: “When the show veers towards stuff that probably sounded really good after a few hits on the bong, it can trip up… But when the show is clicking on all cylinders, it’s spectacular”
- CHUD.com: ” Most of the fans I meet either have bongs shaped like Master Shake or they have deep philosophical debates on whether Frylock is a man or a woman.”
- Currentfilm.com: “The series often makes just about zero sense whatsoever (maybe it’s just me), although apparently that’s the point.”