The original Bachelor’s Party was produced roughly 25 years ago in the 80’s. Drugs, Sex, Tom Hanks and a donkey with a taste for belly dancing and cocaine all highlighted this cult favorite film that actually did very well for it’s time and genre. However, 2008 decided to release a sequel to this movie. Naturally, they could not get Tom Hanks to even do a cameo since he’s busy doing important films that involve him walking around an airport or naming inanimate objects “Wilson”. However, throw in some hot comics and even hotter females with some solid writing and you might just have a really fun and racucous time.
Ron (played by Josh Cooke) and has fallen in love with Melinda(played bySara Foster). They decide to get married and Ron’s friends decide to throw him a bachelor party at the local strip joint. However, Ron’s future brother in law, Todd (played by Warren Christie ) decides to take them to something a little more crazy and fancy. He books a vacation for Ron, his friends and himself to a scantily clad hideaway on the family’s company tab. Ron tries his best to remain faithful to Melinda and still have a good time around a bevy of booze and beauties.
The film is straight up funny. I was kinda worried since the sequel was way past its relevancy and I didn’t readily recognize any of the characters outside of comedian Harland Williams who plays Ron’s friend Derek. Derek has been through three marriages with multiple kids. His oldest kid (we assume) is teenager Tommy (played by Max Landwirth) who joins Ron and his friends. Harland steals the show, his one-liners and absolutely amazing rants are awesome in what many would see as a second or even third fiddle to the main character. He’s not even arguably the main friend but he is top-notch in every scene they put him in.
The other two friends, Jason (played by Greg Pitts) and Seth (played by Danny Jacobs) are also very strong in the comedy department. Jason delivers some great rants as he fulfills the overweight but thinks he is god’s gift to women role. Then there is
Seth who spends most of the movie with two broken arms and serves the dorky role of getting into the most hijinx and falling for a woman who is completely the opposite of his Jewish background (think about it for a second, you’ll figure it out).
One could not mention the strong and funny actors without mentioning the constant slew of beautiful females in this movie. Besides Melinda, the other stand out females have to include Eva (played by Emmanuelle Vaugier) and Melinda’s sister, Autumn (played by Karen Gordon). Eva is smoking hot and tries to tempt Ron into doing something he doesn’t want to do while Autumn (married to Todd) tries to give Melinda her own bachelorette party and delivers the funniest female part in the movie.
The movie is not perfect, however it certainly deserves to be put in the same context as some other standout “naughty” sequels like American Pie 2. There is funny material all around and actually something resembling a story. Sure the unrated sticker on the movie means there is a lot of nudity but there is actually something underneath the nudity, a decent story and well acted characters in a solid and fun time.
The film is styled in 1.77:1 anamorphic widescreen. The movie is very easy on the eyes when it comes to the females in the movie. No complaints there. However, the picture quality has a very distinct softness to it. The film’s colors are okay at best and even though the jokes are in high order, the production doesn’t seem as good as it should be.
Audio is given in only 5.1 English and it is very strong. Dialog is good and clear despite the frequent party scenes and crowd elements. Surrounds are used nicely in correlation with various effects. It is also loud which acts greatly to the fun atmosphere. Subtitles are also provided in English, Spanish and French.
- Automatic Trailers: The Onion Movie(sounds like a bad idea but looks very funny) and In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Seige tale(great trailer, too bad the movie utterly bombed)
- Audio Commentary: A very fun and upbeat commentary from Warren Christie, Greg Pitts, Harland Williams, Danny Jacobs, Josh Cooke & Director James Ryan.
- Deleted Scenes 16:02: Some extended scenes, some new ones and some riffs. A good selection of material and you can see that it was only cut for pacing and time conflicts. More funny stuff from Greg Pitts and Harland Williams.
- The Party Never Stops: Making of Bachelor Party 2 10:01: The classic behind the scenes and how they worked with a couple of the originals from the first Bachelor Party.
- Analysis of A Stripper Fight 6:57: Hrmmm, I never realized they used Stunt Coordinators during the stripper fight in the movie. Go figure. A half way interesting look at how a casual fight scene is choreographed out.
- Gag Reel & Gags 17:31: Seven gags and a gag reel to feast on. Really this could be just deleted scenes part two. Harland and Greg are just amazing, I have not laughed that hard in a long long time. It’s complete improv at moments and just shows how talented these two are. Also be sure to check out Karen Gordon’s room service rant at the end, extremely funny too.
- Trailer 1:05: The original Trailer for this straight to dvd release.
Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by a movie. I review a lot of decent movies and I review even more duds. I am willing to admit I was expected a dud here. However, what I got was anything but that. On one hand, it is a silly naughty romper room comedy. On the other hand, it is a very funny naughty romper room comedy. I can not compliment the job Harland Williams or Greg Pitts did to their characters. They steal the show. The rest of the cast is solid and turn in fine performances as well. The dvd (video aside) is a great display of what a disc should be. The extras are plentiful and are everything you could ask for a film of this type. Very highly recommended whether you like comedies or just a good helping of some very hot skin.
02/15/2008 @ 7:47 am
03/11/2008 @ 8:34 pm
Any movie or live show with KAREN GORDON in it has got to be HILARIOUS. She is the best!!!!
The Comebacks (Unrated) | UpcomingDiscs.com
06/23/2008 @ 8:09 pm
[…] Automatic Trailers: The Onion Movie, Death Sentence, & Bachelor Party 2 […]
01/03/2012 @ 8:05 am
Hi, Neat post. There is an issue along with your site in internet explorer, may test this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good element of other folks will leave out your excellent writing due to this problem.