This disc is a compilation of the 5 highest rated episodes of the Steve Harvey Show. This TV series ran from 1996-2002 on the WB network and features Steve Harvey (The Original King’s of Comedy) as Steve Hightower ex-1970’s R&B star turned music teacher and assistant principal and Cedric “The Entertainer” (Barbershop) as coach Cedric Wilson and Steve’s best friend and roommate. It also featured your usual high school sitcom cast of characters. The five episodes presented here are:
- That’s My Mama- Ste…e fools his mother into believing that he is dating his Principal played by Wendy Raquel Robinson (Two can play that game).
- Welcome to Bernie’s –Principal Grier decides that the staff need some “Self-help” and enlists the help of her old college professor.
- Educating Piggie-It’s back to school for the teachers at Booker T High school but, one of them is having a hard time in Lovita’s computer class.
- Little Stevie Blunder-When a beautiful woman mistakenly assumes that Steve is blind who is he to tell her otherwise?
- My Whole Left Side-When Cerdic’s Grandma Puddin’ pays a surprise visit Steve and Lovita find themselves on her bad side.
As this is a television show we have a 1.33:1 fullscreen transfer that is very well done. There are no visible transfer artifacts or film grit. The image is very sharp and clean with decent color overall. Columbia Tri-Star has done an excellent job mastering this disc as the image quality is far above average for a television show.
The audio on this disc is a simple Dolby 2.0 Surround mix that is clean but pretty low key overall. The dialogue is well done and easily distinguishable, bass when present is full and punchy but other then that there really is not much else happening. The rears are used only during the opening and closing musical sections and the front channels are seldom even used. I can’t say that I expected much more then this as we are talking about a simple dialogue driven sitcom. There are no alternative audio tracks or subtitles offered.
There is are two trailers on this disc for the bonus features, one for the upcoming Bad Boys II and the other for more “Best of TV” DVD releases coming from Columbia Tri-Star. The menus are simple still images without score but, are easy to navigate.
This was a genuinely funny show with some decent and memorable characters. The episodes on this disc are excellent and well presented and this disc is a must have for any fan of the show.
Special Features List